How to Create Your Own Perfume at Home
If the next thing on your to-do list is to create your own perfume, then you should assume that it is done today. Yes, the day I thought of making my perfume, that was the day I got it done. I don’t procrastinate and that’s the quality I want to see in you.
You are an entrepreneur who wishes to be a proud owner of a product. You want to do it yourself and you wish to sell it someday. Amazingly, perfume can be one of those many products you can create on your own, providing that you get the steps right.
No doubt, you want to smell good and see others do so too. Anyway, Bellecampus.com is here to put you through the perfume making process.
There are chances that you must have thought of checking some fragrance development companies. I will advise that you do that later and focus on how to make perfume at home for now.
But before you learn how to make perfume, you must learn some things about the perfume, the ingredients for making perfume, custom fragrance matching and others.
What Are Perfumes?
Perfumes are fragrance in liquid form that is made from essential oils gotten from spices and flowers. They are applied to the body to give it a pleasant smell.
They are also made from the mixture of chemical compounds like water and alcohol to produce fragrance. You will learn more about this as you read through this article today.
Meanwhile, most perfume products come in the form of spray and roll on. These perfumes are sometimes classified in the sense that there are perfumes for males and females respectively. If you look closely, you will observe that some perfume last longer than others.
These are due to some factor which will be unveiled to you as you read through this piece.
What Are Perfume Oils?
Most people still fail to understand that the perfume oil does not mean the same thing as perfume. The perfume oil is the essential oils present in perfume to bring out its fragrance. This simply means that perfume oils can be found in perfumes.
They are also referred to as flavor oils, aromatic oils, and aroma oils. They are usually mixed with other carrier oils like mineral oil, vegetable oil, propylene glycol and others.
What You Should Know About Carrier Oils and Essential Oils
Essential oils are plant extracts that are usually named after their parent plant. Clove oil, coconut oil, olive oil and many others are examples of essential oil. These essential oils can be of great benefits to you if used rightly. However, it can be irritating if used in the wrong way which another reason you must pay attention to this guide.
Carrier oil is otherwise known as base oil or vegetable oil. These oils are used to dilute the essential oils whenever they are concentrated.
You must understand this because we will be using the terms carrier oil and essential oils in this guide today.
Now, get your pen and notes ready. It’s about to get serious!
The Composition of Perfume Fragrance
We mentioned earlier that the length of a perfume fragrance and how they smell depends on some certain factors.
Those factors are the components that make a perfume complete. These components are referred to as notes where we have the below;
- Base Note – The base notes of your perfume last the longest. So if you wish to make a perfume that lasts longer, you should not let a base note be missing during the preparation process. Good examples of base notes include; Cedarwood, vanilla, fern, moss, lichen, cinnamon, patchouli, and sandalwood.
- Heart Note – The heart note is perceived approximately for about 15 to 20 minutes. They don’t last up to the base notes. Good examples of the base notes include; neroli, ylang-ylang, lemongrass, geranium, clove, and nutmeg.
- Head Note – This is the first note that you perceive in a perfume. They last the shortest time. Good examples of headnote include; lime, rose, jasmine, lemon, orchid, lavender, and bergamot.
- Bridge Note – They act as an intermediary between all notes and the headnote; Good examples of the bridge note include; lavender, vanilla.
All these notes are important during the perfume making process. They will help determine the durability of your perfume. You can pick any of the essential oils that we have given as examples for your note.
However, if you are interested in knowing how your perfume will smell like, then you should check out some perfume scents and their essential oils below;
Meanwhile, you carry out your experiment so to identify your favourite scents and get your custom fragrance matching.
- Herbal Scent – For herbal scent, you can include; Rosemary, lavender, peppermint, clary sage, basil, chamomile, angelica and others.
- Floral Scent – Violet, rose, jasmine, ylang-ylang, geranium, neroli and others.
- Woodsy Scent – Cypress, Pine, Cassia, Ceder, and Sandalwood.
- Ocean Scent – Salt sea
- Spicy Scent – Cinnamon, Juniper, clove, cardamom, black pepper, ginger, nutmeg, and others.
- Earthy Scent – Vetiver, Patchouli and others.
- Fruit Scent – Orange, lemongrass, lime, bergamot, grapefruit, and others.
ALSO READ – OLIVE OIL SOAP BENEFIT
ALSO READ – HOW OFTEN TO USE BEARD OIL
Ingredients for Making Perfume and Their Measurement
You will agree with me that that ingredient is what makes a product. Therefore, there is no product without ingredients. So let’s create your own perfume with these ingredients below;
- 100 drops of sweet almond oil or Jojoba Oil (carrier oils)
- 2½ ounces of ethanol. A vodka is a nice option
- 2tbs of distilled water/spring water/pure water. Avoid using tap water or any water not 99.9% pure.
- 25 drops of essential oils. See the breakdown below;
- Add 7 drops of base note oils.
- Put in 7 drops of heart note oils.
- 7 drops of headnote oils.
- 3 drops of bridge note oils.
- 5 glass droppers where 4 will be for each of the essentials oils and one will be for your chosen carrier oil.
- A glass bottle.
- The perfume container which could be a dark-coloured glass bottle, a rollerball bottle or any other suitable container.
- A coffee filter
NOTE – The concentration of your essential oil should not be more 25% in the carrier oil. Just like we have 25:100 ratio of essential oil to carrier oil above. Meanwhile, if you have got sensitive skin, you should reduce the essential oil concentration to 15%.
Create Your Own Perfume
Follow the steps below to create your own perfume successfully;
- Add the 100 drops of Jojoba oil or Almond oil (carrier oil) in a bottle.
- Put in 25 drops of your chosen essential oils. This should include 7 base notes, 7 heart notes, 7 headnotes and 3 bridge note.
- Add 2½ ounces of vodka (alcohol).
- Mix them by shaking the bottle for about 3 minutes.
- Keep in a cool and dry place for about 4 weeks to ensure a strong scent.
- After this has been achieved, add 2tbs of distilled water and shake it will.
- Use your coffee filter to filter it into your preferred perfume bottle.
- Ensure the bottle so that there is exposure to light and heat.
- You can now label your perfume. Congratulations.
Where to Get the Perfume Ingredients
You can get most of these ingredients in any local beauty store or supermarket around you. Meanwhile, to make it easy, you can buy them here.
- Jojoba Oil
- Almond Oil
- Essential oils including tea tree oil, lemongrass, peppermint, orange, eucalyptus and lavender in one pack.
- Distilled Water
- Glass Droppers
- Perfume Containers
- Coffee Filter
Why You Need To Create Your Own Perfume
Creating your own perfume goes beyond applying it to smell fine. Yes, I want you to imagine how fulfilled you will feel when you do it yourself. So I have highlighted some reason why should create your own perfume.
- You can define the fragrance that suits your personality.
- You may sell it when perfected.
- Building a brand for yourself.
- Becoming an entrepreneur.
- You can make more money.
Perfume Fragrance Development Companies
In case you are interested in the perfume development companies, then check out the once we have highlighted below. You can proceed with your research about them;
- Avon Products Inc in London, United Kingdom.
- Chanel SA in Paris, France.
- Coty Inc in New York, United States.
- Loreal SA in Clichy, France.
I hope you found this guide useful. If yes, then I will advise you to take action immediately. You can create your own perfume today because we have provided everything you need to know here today.
In case you have any question, you should use the comment section below. We will try our best to reply you as soon as possible.
Share this article will other entrepreneurs online who be interested in making their own perform.