There are two main types of jobs a student can take: on-campus and off-campus. The second one doesn’t usually work for international students coming to study in the US, but we will discuss the requirements and restrictions for each type.

On-campus employment with a US student visa

Your US student visa allows you to work on-campus up to 20 hours per week when school is in session and full-time during school break periods (up to 40 hours per week).

On-campus employment is defined as work that takes place on campus, or at an off-campus location that is affiliated with the school. That could mean working in a university bookstore, cafeteria or other facilities where students can help.

campus employment with a US student visa

Things can get a little more complicated if you wish to work off-campus, but there are some training programs that F1 students can get permission to work under.

As you would expect, off-campus employment is work that that takes place outside of the school campus. It is not impossible to obtain, but it’s only available to F1 students who have completed at least one full academic year of their program of study, and who have an economic hardship that qualifies for the Department of Homeland Security’s emergent circumstances.


As you can see, there are work opportunities for international students in the US, but you need to make sure you follow all the rules and always check things out with your DSO.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *